Cowboys and Aliens had me at the title! Throwing Indiana Jones, James Bond and House’s 13, (Olivia Wilde – the thinking man’s smoking hot babe), into the mix merely turned a ridiculous premise into a cosmically absurd proposition. How could I resist?
There’s no point issuing spoiler alerts, like a fine Obama speech, this schizophrenic masterpiece cannot be spoiled.
Yes I hear your little people objections, but bear with me. If we throw fun under the bus then CB is the cinematic equivalent of a typical Obama speech.
Let’s review the evidence:
- CB mashes together tired old western and science-fiction clichés without the slightest regard for antiquated notions like coherence and plausibility.
- Obama (OB) mashes together tired old political clichés without the slightest regard for antiquated notions like effectiveness and reality.
- CB conjures up big nasty bug-like aliens that literally blind the people with science so they can harvest their precious bodily fluids.
- OB conjures up big nasty Tea Party Republicans that blind the people with arithmetic so they can balance the budget.
- CB rails against the gold standard. See the movie
- OB rails against the gold standard. See the Federal Reserve.
- CB is confused.
- OB ditto.
Analogies are never perfect and eventually the CB = OB symmetry breaks down. In CB it all works out! After dispatching the aliens the good guys are better off. When we finally dispatch Obama I doubt any of us will be better off.